Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Introduction

Hi All,

My name is Remzi Kizilboga. I am a first year PhD student in Instructional Systems Technology at Indiana University Bloomington. This is my second year in Bloomington. In my first year, I attended Intensive English Program to improve my English skills. Bloomington is a great city for me. It is safer and cheaper. It has also many opportunities for students to socialize. Before I came here, I completed my master in Turkey. I have been also teaching in a public elementary school for two years. Actually, I love teaching so I really miss my teaching experience years.

My parents live in Turkey with my two sisters. I love them and look forward to seeing them again. After completing my PhD, I will go back to Turkey. My government wants me to work in a public university as a professor. Therefore, I want to go back and share my experiences in IUB with Turkish students. I believe that the courses related to instructional design will help me to better understand "What is instructional design?", How can I design an effective instruction?", and "How can I appropriately apply designed instructions?"

I look forward to a great semester with you all!

Remzi

4 comments:

  1. Greetings Remzi,

    What were your experiences in the teaching? Did you teach computer science and computer applications or a different subject?

    What are some key principles that you've learned so far about instructional design that you think are important for your future Turkish students to understand?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Dr. Leftwich,

      When I was in Turkey, I was teaching basic computer skills, such as Microsoft Office Applications, emailing,and playing some educational games, and other information technologies. I also taught more basic computer skills to my students' mothers, such as writing with microsoft word, drawing with paint, opening an email account, and sending email. I oditted some courses last year in IST. After applied to IST, I went back to Turkey, and I taught English in a public education center during last Spring semester.

      For the second part of your questions, I would say that when I took a course related to instructional design during my undergrad education, I learned all instructional design models theoretically. After courses, I forgot what I learned. However, in last Fall semester, I learned how to prepare an effective instruction. Therefore, I believe that I can transfer my knowledge about instructional design to my students in the future.

      Sincerely,

      Delete
  2. Hello my Hoosier buddy,

    I'm so excited to be your Hoosier buddy and I believe we can share something interesting with each other on many issues because of our differences regarding culture and education background. Out of my curiosity, do you thin the Intensive English Program you attended helps you a lot? For me, I think it's not easy to reach a certain level of English proficiency, so I keep trying different ways to improve my English skills. I would like to know what did you learn from IEP and how.

    My goal of this course is to recognize and distinguish various instructional design principles and to build my design ability with creative and critical senses in order to create and develop good instruction products. What about yours?

    Best,
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Janet,

    I am so excited to be your Hossier buddy, too. :) I hope we can share something in terms of our different culture and educational background. Actually, IEP provided me many opportunity to improve my English skills. Before I attended IEP, my English skills was awful except my grammar skill. Of course, I did not only do IEP assignments. I met a native conversation partner to improve my speaking and listening skills.

    By the way, I liked your goal for this course.:) I have not had a specific goal for this course yet but I hope I will have chance to improve my instructional design skills too.

    Best,
    Remzi

    ReplyDelete