Friday, March 22, 2013

Collaboration vs. Cooperation

Hi,

This week, when I looked at the collaboration notes, I really became confused because I have still had difficulties to figure out what are the exact differences between collaboration and cooperation. They have their own dictionary meanings.

collaboration: when you work together with another person or group to achieve something, especially in science or art

cooperation: when you work with someone to achieve something that you both want.

For both there is group study but what is the difference. I am not sure but what I understood is that for collaboration every group members focus on each part of any project. On the other hand, for cooperation each group members focuses on a specific part of the project and then share his/her part with the other group members. Is this understanding correct? If so, for our project, we are sharing responsibilities. Therefore, I think we can we are working cooperatively. I hope my understanding is true. And I am wondering how we can work collaboratively.

Thanks,
Best,

Remzi

1 comment:

  1. Hi Remzi,

    Your understanding of collaboration and cooperation is correct. Collaborative learning involves all of the members working together on a task at the same time, sharing responsibilities and share information as they are working together. Whereas cooperative learning mainly divide up responsibilities to accomplish a task. As you've mentioned, your group is working and learning cooperatively, however I think you've been working/learning collaboratively as well; your group meetings are when you are all sharing your learning and discussing ideas collaboratively. What do you think?

    Hope my answer was helpful.

    MC

    ReplyDelete